Sunday, May 15, 2005

First Saturday Night in the US!

There it was,finally!I was witness to all that I had heard about Saturday nights in the US, and watched on those old soaps on TV back home in India.Ofcourse,sans the sex!It was an interesting Saturday in Houston.Went to Walmart in morning and just got blown away with the retail explosion that I saw there.By the time I exited the main gate of this mega store,I was convinced that I can get anything in the four corners of that building for my day to day living, EXCEPT a girlfriend.Incredible place!The range of products and the processes that are followed there, was an education by itself. I guess I learnt more about the retail world in those 3 hours at Walmart, than I ever did in my marketing classes,back in b-schoool!

Also visited mini-malls as it were - 99c store,and East West store(an Indian store!),and Sam's,which was the good old factory outlet kind of a store that I have seen back home in India!And then the afternoon drive from downtown Houston,to my sister's place in the elite Woodlands area of Texas!Wow!The drive itself was wonderful!And my brother-in-law just added that special flavour by letting me drive his BMW!It was an experience of a lifetime, behind the wheels of a BMW....oh wow!Very unreal world,but exhilarating,all the same,and SURELY,one of the moments of this trip!

We then went to a Mexican joint, Chuy's last night for dinner.The first ever night out for me on a Saturday evening in the US!And true to American weekend tradition,there were numerous couples all over the place,nattily clad(summer time,right?),having a blast,eating,drinking,kissing,laughing,playing the fool,getting naughty,letting their hair down,and leaving the main door of the restaurant hand in hand - I was pretty sure that they were all headed to a lovely,cosy bed after that!Well, I had some interestign Mexican veg food,french fries,salsa with papad(deadly!)and engaged in animated conversation with my sister,her kid and my brother-in-law!Talkign about family,and all sorts of other things, including Miami beach and the babes there!

Reached home,after that and played with my niece for almost 2 hours,running around the house,hugging her and absolutely loving every minute of the time with her.Then,hit the room upstairs with the DVD 65mm screen(SONY), with the movie Oceans 12.Well, I retired for the day in a cosy couch(all alone!), just past midnight!!A very interesting FIRST Saturday in the United States...

No comments: